Software for fast, simple instant messaging with device syncing
Telegram is a fast, secure, and free Android messaging client that offers advanced encryption, unlimited file sharing, and more.
With Telegram you can have all of your chat history, files, and contacts within arm’s reach without having to take up any storage space on your local device.
This app uses AES-256bit encryption and other models to keep your data and chat history safe, meaning only you and your contacts will be able to see your conversations.
Security is great, but what about speed? Telegram uses a large network of distributed servers across the globe that get you online fast. The app takes up barely any space on local storage and you can share, download, or stream virtually any kind of media or file with no limitations.
There are some known issues like app hangs and crashes that can require restarting your device (this is mainly reported on Samsung devices like Samsung Galaxy and the Note).
Overall Telegram boasts a solid balance of speed, security and ease of use that definitely makes it worth checking out.
- Simple and Easy to Use Install and you’ve got top-level encryption, cloud-storage and all kinds of fun and interesting customization options at your fingertips!
- Share and Stream Media Securely Share and stream any kind of file, regardless of size, to and from any of your Telegram contacts.
- Unlimited Storage There are no limits on how many private chats, group conversations, or even files you can store in the cloud. Keep it forever or throw it away for good, all without worrying about quotas and queues.
- No Support for Video Calls While you can send pictures, this app doesn't have any video calling capability.
- Delete recently sent messages for everyone.
- Network Usage in 'Data and Storage' Settings.
- App remembers scroll position when switching to another chat and back.
- Messages from one sender are grouped together.
- Added a floating date to the top of the screen when scrolling.
- Recently downloaded files are shown when sharing a file.
- Report spam from Secret chats.
- Send GIFs directly from Gboard.
- Android 7.1: Added fast action menu to home screen.
Potentially dangerous permissions
- ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access approximate location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION.
- ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access precise location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION.
- CAMERA: Required to be able to access the camera device.
- GET_ACCOUNTS: Allows access to the list of accounts in the Accounts Service.
- READ_CONTACTS: Allows an application to read the user's contacts data.
- READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to read from external storage.
- READ_PHONE_STATE: Allows read only access to phone state, including the phone number of the device, current cellular network information, the status of any ongoing calls, and a list of any PhoneAccounts registered on the device.
- RECEIVE_SMS: Allows an application to receive SMS messages.
- RECORD_AUDIO: Allows an application to record audio.
- WRITE_CONTACTS: Allows an application to write the user's contacts data.
- WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to write to external storage.
- ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: Allows applications to access information about networks.
- ACCESS_WIFI_STATE: Allows applications to access information about Wi-Fi networks.
- INSTALL_SHORTCUT: Allows an application to install a shortcut in Launcher.
- INTERNET: Allows applications to open network sockets.
- MODIFY_AUDIO_SETTINGS: Allows an application to modify global audio settings.
- READ_SYNC_SETTINGS: Allows applications to read the sync settings.
- RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED: Allows an application to receive the ACTION_BOOT_COMPLETED that is broadcast after the system finishes booting. If you don't request this permission, you will not receive the broadcast at that time. Though holding this permission does not have any security implications, it can have a negative impact on the user experience by increasing the amount of time it takes the system to start and allowing applications to have themselves running without the user being aware of them. As such, you must explicitly declare your use of this facility to make that visible to the user.
- SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW: Allows an app to create windows using the type TYPE_SYSTEM_ALERT, shown on top of all other apps. Very few apps should use this permission; these windows are intended for system-level interaction with the user.
- UNINSTALL_SHORTCUT: This permission is no longer supported.
- USE_FINGERPRINT: Allows an app to use fingerprint hardware.
- VIBRATE: Allows access to the vibrator.
- WAKE_LOCK: Allows using PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming.
- WRITE_SYNC_SETTINGS: Allows applications to write the sync settings.